Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Under Pressure

The title for this post, seemed to keep ringing in my mind yesterday. Between the scare of two young girls missing for the last few days, a couple of close friends being on the brink of ending their marriages, and another friend who's health is not good because of the stress from their job and is in the process of losing their job...they are probably feeling overwhelmed - they may be feeling "under pressure" with all that is coming at them from all directions of life right now.

When I was driving home last night, the song "Under Pressure" by David Bowie and Queen actually came on the radio. As I listened to the lyrics, I found myself smiling at first and then tears started to form in my eyes thinking of all those people I know right now....UNDER PRESSURE!

Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you no man ask for
Under pressure - that burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets

It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming let me out
Pray tomorrow - gets me higher
Pressure on people - people on streets

She been around
Kicked my brains round the floor
These are the days it never rains but it pours

People on streets
People on streets
It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming let me out
Pray tomorrow - high higher

Turned away from it all like a blind man
Sat on a fence but it don't work
Keep coming up with love but it's so slashed and torn
Why - Ooooh

Insanity laughs under pressure we're cracking
Can't we give ourselves one more chance
Why can't we give love that one more chance
Why can't we give love
Give love give love give love give love
Give love give love give love

Love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves

Under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure


Even though this song is from the '80's, the music and lyrics are timeless. The video on You Tube is pretty powerful, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM

Being "under too much pressure" can cause people to make choices they might not otherwise, and can sometimes hurt themselves and/or others around them. Knowing this from personal experience, I believe in the power of prayer, the power of our Lord, and the power of friendship. With these three things wrapped snuggly like a blanket around a person, the "pressure" feeling can sometimes not feel so heavy. And clarity in a very "pressure-filled" situation can be possible.

How many more people around me are probably under pressure, too, and I don't even know it. Our lives can get so busy, and the time we share with others, can become very limited. But what if everyday, I reached out to at least one friend? I called them, or sent them a quick email or text, letting them know I was thinking of them. Thanking them for being my friend. Asking them how they were doing...and then giving them my ear if they DO need a friend and need to talk. Without realizing it, my little effort could be what keeps someone from doing something "radical" or "impulsive" because they are "under so much pressure" and felt like they had no one to turn to.

"Dear Lord, please lift up and carry all those people I know 'Under Pressure" (and those I don't know that are "under pressure"), and help lighten their loads. Wrap your loving arms around them and their families during this difficult time in their lives. Please help release the "pressure" they are feeling, so they can shine again in your Glory. Amen."






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Lisa. And so very true for so many. There are so many unspoken pressures out there amongst our friends and family that we may not even be aware. Here's to removing one less "pressure" from someone's life. And Rejoice for the Lord is so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Lord is good! And so are many wonderful friends - like you! Thanks Nyaya, for your comment. :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great idea! I think I will do the same thing...reaching out to one person a day (at least). As a fairly introverted person, this will take some effort for me, but I think God expects us to stretch and grow anyway, so this would be a great exercise. Thank you Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! :-) I am sure many people in your life will be deeply touched by your outreach to them and your friendship! :-)

      Delete
  3. Are you reading my mind? I maunder so much pressure at work along with many of my coworkers. I've had a headache for weeks. We never know who is going through things and who might just need a friend to talk to. My stress relief comes in the form of my four legged son, Jinx. He reminds me that life should be simple - love, friendship, health....and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your job situation! Love that Jinx reminds you of those great things. I wish life was that simple, too. I am looking forward to us catching up soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete