Friday, April 6, 2012

JUMP...Like You Can Touch The Sky!

Today is going to need to be one of those kinds of days!!! Because if I don't jump - and keep jumping - I am going to crash to the ground!!! So I think I will REACH for the sky, instead! Ever have one of those days...that the life around you is trying to push you down and keep you down? But if you JUMP - you can JUMP over all the crap coming at you! I just need to remember to duck sometimes - or I might get hit in the head. And that would really slow me down and give me a big ol' bruise.

The thing about jumping is it feels GREAT! Think about children jumping rope - trying to avoid the rope. And depending how fast they are turning the rope, determines how fast and high they will jump. My type of jumping actually looks more like the "double dutch" - trying to avoid TWO ropes!!! Unfortunately, I was never very good at "double dutch" despite my efforts and strong desire to do it. But I still kept trying. And I would probably still try today, if a couple of ropes were to pass my way.

But when someone is jumping "double dutch" and they are GOOD at it - it will have it's own rhythm and groove. And then another person will join in, and then it is really impressive. And then add some music or the jumpers start rapping, and its a beautiful site!!! I remember when I was a kid living in NYC and watching my cousins and friends doing the "double dutch" and would LOVE it!! They were all so good at it! Even my mother knew how to do the "double dutch" when she was growing up and living in NYC. (Did someone forget to pass this gene onto me???)

Many days I am STILL trying to find my own rhythm and groove - be it as a woman, daughter, mother, wife. While I would like to think that I would want to jump with a single rope - slow and simple - that is NOT my reality. I am a double dutch jumper! I know that about myself, and I accept it. I have to be, with all that life serves me on a daily basis.

Life is the rope - sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Sometimes one rope, sometimes two or more. But whichever rope and speed a person chooses, they still HAVE TO JUMP!!!

I imagine when I am jumping towards the sky, my whole body is fully extended, my arms are reaching up for the heavens, my toes are pointed towards the ground, my eyes are closed and there is a BIG smile on my face. But I can't keep those eyes closed for too long, or that is when I get hit in the head. So once in a while I open them - look around - check that all is OK - and I close them again and smile.

So, if you are having one of "those" kind of days - JUMP! KEEP JUMPING! And reach for the sky. Let it all go - give it all you've got! Don't forget to smile while you are JUMPING. And sometimes when you least expect it, while you are jumping, and you feel like you can't keep jumping and you are about to crash to the ground - you will get caught - from either a friend, a spouse, a teacher, a significant other, a parent, or even Our Lord. So JUMP....Like You CAN Touch The Sky! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment