Saturday, April 28, 2012

CHANGE, CHANGE And More CHANGE


"CHANGE, CHANGE and more CHANGE." That is the theme for my whole life. As far back as I can remember (about 4 years old, living in Holbrook, NY), "big" changes seemed to be a constant in my life. Most people (unless their parents are in the military) will attend one elementary school, one middle school (or junior high school) and one high school. Or if they attended a private school, it may have been one school for Kindergarten through 8th grade and then one high school for 9th through 12th grade.

Not me! I did not have the pleasure of that experience. Far from it. I attended 3 different public elementary schools from Kindergarten through 3rd grade, 2 different private schools from 4th grade through 8th grade, and 3 different high schools for 9th through 12th grade. No, I was NOT a problem child, getting kicked out of schools. LOL! And neither one of my parents were in the military - even though it sure seemed like it with the constant moving. We made 4 major moves - cross country, almost coast to coast - during the 13 years of schooling. These moves were not job-related for my parents. I just believe they had "roaming" souls (after living in the New York City area while they were growing up), and they thrived on CHANGE every few years.


I realized a few days ago, while listening to my mom share her story with a friend of mine, about the "calling" she says she received from GOD for us to move to Idaho during my 6th grade year, my memories of why we moved and what I experienced were much different than hers. Even all these years later, it still makes me uncomfortable to hear her tell her story about that CHANGE in our lives, because while I believe she has "fond" memories of our move from Florida to Idaho, my memories of those first few years in Idaho were NOT so "fond." They are actually awkward, sad, frustrating and disappointing.

Don't get me wrong...not all of the CHANGES in my life have been bad, negative or uncomfortable. I would say that most of them have actually been wonderful, life changing and have definitely helped me grow and become the person I am today. I have had the pleasure of experiencing cultural diversity every time we moved to a new state and I attended a new school. However, sometimes I was the culturally diverse one among my peers and with that came pain and unhappy moments. But even in those moments, I was growing as a person (even when it didn't seem like it at the time). CHANGE was occurring within me.

CHANGE can cause all kinds of feelings - both positive and negative.
CHANGE can be spiritual, physical, emotional, or mental.
CHANGE can be loved by some people and they really embrace it, while others really struggle with it and possibly even hate it.
CHANGE can be an opportunity for growth. It can be the start of a new chapter in someone's life.
CHANGE might help someone "fly," yet for someone else it could cause them to "crash."
CHANGE can bring out the best in some people, while for others it could bring out the worst.
CHANGE may require the encouragement of another person, in order to take that leap of faith.
CHANGE might force someone to make a "new plan" with their life, that they weren't expecting to do.
CHANGE may need to happen because of the death of a loved one.
CHANGE is not always easy or simple and can be scary.
CHANGE can be complicated, confusing and messy.
CHANGE may require sacrifice.
CHANGE can sometimes take months or years to complete the CHANGE...but in the end it is worth it.
CHANGE happens in all areas of life - health, job, marriages, friendships, living arrangements, etc., etc.
CHANGE can improve one's life and their outlook on life.
CHANGE can be a good thing, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Why are so many people afraid of CHANGE? They will fight the CHANGE, and the fight they are having with the CHANGE will take more energy from them as a person, than the CHANGE itself. Perhaps it is fear of the unknown, not having complete "control" over the possible outcome from the CHANGE. But that is where having Faith and Trust in God becomes important when trying to accept CHANGE. "LET GO. LET GOD."

Sometimes a relationship or friendship with another person can cause CHANGE within ourselves, because they inspire us and give us strength.

One of my favorite songs about CHANGE due to a friendship is from the Broadway musical "WICKED" called "For Good."


......So much of me
Is made from what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a sky bird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good.....

While I realize that CHANGE is inevitable and is going to happen whether I like it or not. How I handle it and what I do with the CHANGE is what will affect me and my life on so many levels. Being aware of this and embracing it (even when I don't want to), will continue to help me grow in a positive way. Accepting the need for CHANGE once in a while, will allow me to be a much happier person towards those around me.

CHANGE may not always be accepted with open, accepting arms and support by others. But that is OK. Surrounding one's self with those that will accept and support you during those times, is the best way to get through a life moment of CHANGE. For those friends of mine that are going through MAJOR CHANGES right now - be it divorce, kids graduating, job changes, parents passing away, friendships ending, marital problems, moving, etc. - you will come out the other side from all these CHANGES a stronger, wiser person. Perhaps even one of these CHANGES will open your eyes to other CHANGES needing to be made in your life right now or in the near future.

"Something has changed within me, Something is not the same. I'm through with playing by the rules, Of someone else's game. Too late for second-guessing. Too late to go back to sleep It's time to trust my instincts. Close my eyes and leap!" (WICKED - "Defying Gravity")

Regarding myself, I won't be afraid - I will continue to face the CHANGES in my life, no matter what they are, and I will survive! We ALL have CHANGES to deal with at some point in our lives. Some more so than others. But despite the circumstances, those that are our "true" friends will still stay by our side and be there for us through these CHANGES.  :-)


(Song "For Good" on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrGFQysfYU

No comments:

Post a Comment