Thursday, April 5, 2012

Is Lent FINALLY Over, Mom?

"When is Lent finally over, mom?" That question, seems to get asked almost daily around my house by the kids. I am sure like many of you, the memories of Lent from when I was a child, had to do with "what was I going to give up for 40 days," or "choosing something I wasn't going to do for 40 days." As I got into Junior High School, I remember my parents discussing with my brother and I, that Lent wasn't only about what we WEREN'T going to do or have, but what we WERE going to do was equally as important. Now that I am a parent, I find myself wanting to teach the same "idea" about Lent to my children at a much younger age. Lent is an AMAZING time in our Catholic Church. And it can be just as amazing in our lives and our children's lives.

I was reminded of that tonight at our Holy Thursday Mass - as I had the honor of being selected to have my feet washed by our priests in front our congregation. What a humbling experience that was. It brought me to tears as our priest was washing my feet! It was as if Jesus, himself, was washing my feet. "Wash away my inequities, and cleanse me from my sins." It is through Lent that this is made possible in our lives - as we are preparing for Easter.

As an adult, not only do I still find myself "giving up" something during Lent, but I also try to "do" something as well such as: participating in a Bible Study group, attending the Stations of the Cross, collecting change for UNICEF, etc. For my family we use two resources for Lent. The first one is a book called "40 Ways for 40 Days: A Family Guide Through Lent." It offers some wonderful ideas of things you make and do as a family to celebrate Lent each day. It also has a Family Lenten Calendar.

The second one is called "Abounding In Steadfast Love: Family Devotions For Lent." This booklet offers explanation, a devotion and a scripture verse for each day of Lent, which my family and I will read and use as our blessing at either breakfast or dinner time. These are only a couple of the many ideas that were available to make Lent a special time for our family.

Lent is a time for us to journey more deeply into the heart of the Paschal Mystery of Christ's life, death and resurrection. It is also a time of fasting, prayer and almsgiving. The prophet Isaiah gives us some good guidance for how to observe Lent:

"Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, the let the oppressed go free and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, cover them, and not hide yourself from your own kin? Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly; your vindicator shall go before you, the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard." Isaiah 58:6-8

Lent is ALMOST over...but not quite yet. We will spend the next 48 hours in waiting for the resurrection of Jesus. And then Lent will FINALLY be over, my dear sweet children!




No comments:

Post a Comment