Monday, April 16, 2012

A Life Lesson From My 5 Year Old (and Justin Bieber!)

Being at the "middle" point in my life has opened my eyes to so many things. Some moments have been awesome and incredible, while other moments - not so much! I could sugar-coat my life and say that "it's just great" and "I'm doing fine". But the truth is (if we were all honest) - some days, being an adult really sucks! It can be hard, overwhelming, confusing, exhausting and down right frustrating! And no matter how hard we try, we just can't seem to get it right with either our kids, spouse or even a friend. But today, I was reminded by my adorable Son #3 that sometimes you just have to do what makes you smile, and not worry about what others think or say. And when you fall down, just get right back up. Smile, and start all over again.

For the last year I have shared on Facebook and with family and friends the funny "Justin Bieber" moments my Son #3 has blessed me with. Well, this morning was the BEST! I was in my bathroom getting ready for the day - finishing my hair and make-up - when he hears my iPod playing "my" music in the bathroom with me (which included Nicki Minaj "Starships" and Flo-Rida "Wild One", just to name a couple of songs). He enters asking if I would change "my" music and put on "HIS" music - "Mommy, I NEED you to put on Justin Bieber's "Eenie Meenie" song for me. PLEEEAAASSSEEE!" And then proceeds to make a big smile on his face, while hugging my leg. What a cheeze ball! LOL! "Eenie Meenie" is his FAVORITE song, which he repeatedly reminds me of, with "Baby" and "One Time" running close seconds.

I oblige to his request, hoping to be entertained by him. Well, he did not disappoint! The song "Eenie Meenie" is getting ready to start, but he has walked out of my bathroom and closed the doors behind him. I am feeling a bit confused, because I was enjoying "my" music before he asked me to change it, and now he has left the bathroom with "his" music getting ready to start. Huummmm. Where did he go??

It turns out, he had not actually left. He was standing behind the closed doors, waiting to make his grand entrance! OMG!!! Right as the song is starting, the double doors come flying open - slam into the wall - and Son #3 comes sliding in onto the tile floor in his socks (Tom Cruise - "Risky Business" mean anything???? LOL!!!!). And even better, he has a green fleece jacket on that has a hood, and he has it pulled up over his head, when he entered - trying to look like Justin in videos where he is wearing his jacket with the hood up! I had to look away and laugh, because his innocence and confidence would have been crushed had he seen me laughing.

Then after the "Risky Business" entrance, he begins to do his version of hip-hop and break dancing. Arms are moving right and left - back and forth out his front. He spins and drops to the floor. Jumps back up and starts kicking his legs out to his sides, and then starts bending his knees and is bobbing/bouncing up and down. He is then lunging his body to the ground - bamm! He spins around on his bottom and jumps back up and falls to the floor, again! He is in FULL dance mode. And he continues to throw his body onto the floor (which I remind you is a hard, tile floor) - and is SINGING through all of this! Get the visual?!?!?!?

And as long as I am not caught by him that I am watching him, he continues with his performance - completely uninhibited! Ooops - oh no - he catches me watching him - he freezes - turns away and asks me to stop watching. LOL! So I turn back around and and try to sneak my peeking from the mirror. When he believes I am no longer watching, he is back in FULL mode singing and dancing! I am LOVING this moment! Oh, how I wished I had had a video camera to have captured this! (Great material for a wedding rehearsal dinner. LOL!!!)

Then all of a sudden - it happened. There is a WAILING sound coming out of the mouth of Son #3. I quickly turn around to find him with his face in his hands, crying. I ask him - "what happened, honey?" Through his tears, he says, "As I was dancing and jumped to the floor, my face hit the floor! I missed my step, mommy!" Oh - poor child. Within seconds the bruise and swelling started right under his right eye. And the crying continued.

I asked him if he wanted me to get him an ice pack. He says "no" - still crying. I then ask him, "is there anything mommy can do to help you feel better?" And his reply is: "Actually mommy, there is. Can you put on Justin's "Baby" song for me? That would help me feel better." I tell him, "SUUURRREEE!" as I start laughing again, at his cuteness! I can't believe that all it takes to make this child of mine feel better is a Justin Bieber song. Son #3 is too much!!!! LOL!!!

Wouldn't be great if all it took to make ALL things better in life - was only a Justin Bieber song. The money I would save on therapy!!!

So, the song begins and all was right in Son #3's world, again! He jumped back up, started smiling, and then started the break dancing and singing all over again. Once that song is over, he proceeds to select the "Baby" video to watch on my iPhone - because he tells me "he needs to watch it to learn some new dance moves." Isn't it great to be 5 years old and have no fear or hesitation to keep trying. Even when he fell down and got hurt, he bounced right back up and started over - with a little help from Justin Bieber. LOL!!

While I witnessed this moment in time with my son, many thoughts were flashing through my mind, as I was smiling and admiring his determination to continue on with his dancing and singing. Even with a swollen face! LOL! He didn't give up and walk away defeated.

How often do I live my life that way? When I get knocked down by something someone says to me, that hurts my feelings, or a situation that doesn't go my way, do I feel defeated and call it a day? Or do I stand back up again, brush myself off, and start over with a new attitude? It seems that during some of the funniest moments with my kids, God will give me a life lesson. And today's life lesson came with the help of Justin Bieber - of all people! Seriously!!! Thanks, God and Son #3! LOL!!!! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment