Saturday, May 19, 2012

Please Protect Our OWN Children, First!

Recently, the uglies of the Internet have captured the attention of one of my children, and I am crazy with anger and fear, because I am not sure which child has been affected because they all know each others passwords and will use each others accounts when they need more time to complete a homework assignment.

This was discovered as I was checking the sites-visited section for each of my kids in the parental controls section of my iMac the other night.  So much for having the "adult content blocked" button selected!  Sounds like I will be paying a visit to the Apple Store next week with my computer to figure out how this could have happened!!!!  UUGGHHH!!!!

I recognize that curiosity is a normal part of growing up, and at some point we have all been curious about "adult-like" things when we were kids, but the access our children have to such graphic, visual videos and pictures is appalling!!!!  To think our parents thought Playboy/Playgirl was evil to the young mind, it doesn't even compare to the evils our kids have access to today on the internet!!!

For all the governing our government insists on doing, which at times I think is a bit TOO much, why can't they do more when it comes to our kids, here in our own country.  Many times it seems like the government does more to protect the animals in our country than they do for the children.  This is not a party issue - Democratic, Republican or Independent.  It's a family issue!  All families are at risk of being affected by this - even those running our country!

Let me clarify, I am NOT saying that we should forget the issues and needs of children from around the world, or the animals in our country, but our children should come FIRST, and right now I don't feel like they do!

Many children in America -
* Aren't covered by health insurance
* Are homeless
* Don't have food to eat
* Don't have access to education
* Don't have clothes to wear other than what's on their back
* Live in gang infested areas
* Have parents in prison
* Are being bullied and then commit suicide because it was all too much
* Have childhood cancers and diseases, and there has been a high increase of this in the last 10 years!
* Have a gun for their protection
* Are in gangs and are killing other children and adults

And my list could go on and on, but you get the picture.   Again, I ask, why isn't our government doing more regarding the issues affecting our children?

With these kinds of issues affecting our children here in America, the issues of the internet (to some people) might seem trivial in comparison.   But when it is your own child being negatively affected by the internet, it becomes just as critical an issue!!!

Children are born into this world innocent and with no expectations or assumptions.  Why is this part of them so quickly taken away from them by our society?   Especially by the internet!!!

I would be lying if I said I "hated" the internet.  Because I don't.  I actually find it fascinating and interesting.  If it wasn't for the internet I am not sure how I would have learned all I have when it comes to food allergies and my children.   Having access to published research papers, medical articles and websites has been a blessing in helping me navigate through what initially were overwhelming diagnosis's  for my children.  So now I am "queen" of knowledge about gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree-nut free and soy-free living!!!  Oh, and let's not forget that Daughter decided (on her own for personal conscious reasons) to become vegetarian 20 months ago.  Shopping and cooking for my family is no small task!!  LOL!!!!

I am glad there is the internet for things like that.  But I am NOT glad that children are able to so easily access sites and videos of adult content!  With all the "brains" in Washington D.C. or Silicon Valley, why hasn't someone figured out how to TRULY block those kinds of links on the internet for children without the need of a software program.  If the internet is free to access, blocking of sites that are not for children, should also be "freely" done.  Many, many parents can not afford the software programs needed to block these kinds of sites and links.  So then their children are being exposed to the "uglies" of the internet.  That does not seem right or fair.   These parents want and need their children to be equally protected just like the parents who can afford these programs.

With an issue as serious as this, children should not be negatively impacted because of their parents socio-economic circumstances.  What is in the best interest of ALL children here in America???  No matter how much or how little money their parents have.  All parents LOVE their children and want them to be safe.  So as a government, how do they intend to do this for the children of our country?   I know there are grassroot groups and organizations trying to make a difference in this area, but the money and resources that are needed for this big a change NEEDS to come from "Uncle Sam."

It scares me to think how bad and serious is this all going to have to get, before the government steps in and really does something about this - something that MAKES A DIFFERENCE!  And I DON'T want a band-aid fix!  I want open-heart surgery!!!!  I want MAJOR CHANGES!!!

I suppose until then, for the time being, I am going to have to go on the internet and research what the different groups and organizations are actually doing to help towards improving the safety of the internet for our children and get involved.  Since I am a person that believes if I am going to voice an opinion for change, then I need to help towards the change.  I challenge anyone else reading this post...if you feel the same way and truly want to see a change regarding the safety of the internet for our children, please get involved towards this change.   Until the president and the government believes this is a "real" issue worth their time and our money (make me mad, that they don't!), we as parents will just need to keep fighting the fight to keep our children safe with whatever resources we have available to us!!!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment