Monday, February 25, 2013

People Watching

It's a Saturday night.  I am sitting at a bar, waiting for a friend to meet me for a drink (but she is running late), and I can't help myself but "people watch."  Let's be honest...we have ALL done this at one time or another.  Trying to figure out why people choose to dress, wear their make-up, fix their hair and say the things they do.   The more they drink, the more fascinating they become to watch.

I know the reason as to why I am sitting at the bar - "I am waiting for a friend" - but why are all these other people hanging out here?"  What are their intentions?  It is very clear that a man's intentions are not usually too far off from a woman's - especially when they have been drinking.

The guys are checking out the girls.  The girls are checking out the guys.  It's one big meat market...Wait!  It's like high school and college all over again, but about 30 years later with a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds.  (Some things truly never change!!!) 

Oh, let's not forget the person who needs a smoke.  Since all of the bars and restaurants where I live are smoke-free, smokers have to go outside to catch a drag of a cigarette.  So, when they re-enter the bar, they REEK of cigarette smoke.  (It reminds me of Pig Pen from Charlie Brown...the smoke smell follows in behind the person.  LOL!)  Yuck!  Sure, I want that person to come up to me and get all friendly and flirty in my face...NOT!

Then there are the women at the bar laughing and cackling so LOUD!  To the point of being obnoxious and seemingly foolish.  They are clearly looking to draw attention to themselves and be noticed - by WHOMEVER will notice them!  (And there are some SCARY guys taking notice.  HA!)  These ladies act as if they are hoping someone will offer to buy them a drink or anything else they had on their mind.

It's the women in outfits that scream "they are looking for sex" that can be the most entertaining (and somewhat sad) to watch.  They will "try" to discreetly adjust their bras/boobs (in a really low-cut top), as if to appear 2 sizes bigger than they really are.  And then the hair flipping, tilting of the face and flickering of their eye lids, gets added to the mix.  These behaviors can be found in the movies, but the actresses usually have time to perfect these nuances, and will appear rather "smooth" at these "flirty" moves.  But, in real life, it is not always so smooth and is instead rather funny!  And in some cases, even ridiculous.

Well, I am not a person that likes to be obnoxious and draw unsolicited attention to myself.  And I am definitely NOT a "looking for sex" kind of gal...now or in the past.  I am just fine buying my own drinks...don't want someone thinking I owe him "something" for buying me a couple of drinks.  I DON'T cackle loud (at least not in public).  And there is no hair flipping and boob adjusting going on with my outfit.  Hahaha  Being single again in this kind of scene seems almost humorous.  ("Almost" being the key word!)  Who is a lady to trust if this is what the "single" world looks like now; not so sure I am going to do well in it.  Saturday date night with my NOOK is starting to sound more and more appealing!  I sure hope it doesn't come to that, but the alternative right now seems pretty scary.  AAHHH, the enlightenment from People Watching!  LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment