Saturday, January 9, 2021

For the Love of Music

There are moments in one's life as a mom when you wonder what parts of you and who you are as a person will resonate and connect with your kids. Fortunately, I have found that my love of music is one of those connectors for me with my kids.  When I reflect back on my life, I have vivid memories of certain songs and singers during my youth, which were inspired by my parents such as Motown, The Beatles, The BeeGees, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, and Dionne Warwick, just to name a few.

In the distance, upstairs in his bedroom, I hear son #3 singing along with Elton John...he's my youngest - 14 years old and singing along with "Tiny Dancer" and then "I'm Still Standing."  And earlier when he was in the shower, he had music from Post Malone blasting though his MegaBoom speaker.  His love of music is eclectic..just like mine.  Actually, all of my kids are this way.  Bonus point for me as their mom!  

I love that my love of music has actually been passed on to them.  This really does make my heart sing with joy!  Months ago on separate days, I could hear son #3 singing along with Ed Sheerin "Perfect" or "Thinking Out Loud" behind his closed bedroom door.  He kept starting and stopping the songs multiple times, restarting the songs until he could sing them perfectly along with Ed.  And then on other days I have heard him privately singing songs from the musicals "Newsies"or "The Greatest Showman."  And then once in a while I will hear him singing the "Chaplet of the Divine Mercy."  God Love Him!

It brings a HUGE smile to my face hearing his young voice trying to sound so adult-like, with no hesitation because he thinks no-one is "watching and listening" to him.  Ahhh....but I am.  And loving every moment of it!  Treasuring these fleeting moments in time...I could listen to him and my other kids sing for hours.  They were all given the gift of voice, a gift I don't quite have.  (However, I do have the gift of dance, which they all have that gift, too!)  My kiddos have amazing, beautiful singing voices and have all been involved in one manner or another with church choirs, school choirs, theater programs and school  musical plays, high school show choirs, and/or national choirs at Carnegie Hall.

Where did the years go?  I miss seeing them performing on stage and singing at school Masses.  I know I still have a few more years with my youngest child son #3, but time is going way too fast.  I wish I could slow it down.  I pray son #3 will use his "gift of voice" when he goes to high school in Fall 2021.  My kids used to tease me saying I was a "crazy stage mom" when I would want to video tape them singing/performing. But soon those memories will be what I enjoy watching when they have all grown up, moved away and started their own families or followed their callings in life.

During the last several years when I hear certain artists/musical theater/songs, it reminds me of my kids:

Son #1 - U2's song "Elevation", Journey's song "Don't Stop Believing" and songs from the 1980's.

One and only daughter - Taylor Swift songs, any songs from the musical "Wicked" and the TV show Glee, especially the songs "Take Me or Leave Me",  "Loser Like Me" and "ABC."

Son #2 - Justin Bieber songs, Justin Timberlake's song "Can't Stop the Feeling" and songs from the musicals Newsies and Aladdin.

Son #3 - Ed Sheerin songs, and songs from the musicals Newsies and The Greatest Showman.

I look forward to how the music my kids are growing up with will shapes their lives as adults, and how they will pass it on.







No comments:

Post a Comment